[Bf-committers] _I am attempting to improve Blender's Outliner and I could use some help."

john bartle johnbartle at live.com
Mon May 5 03:58:31 CEST 2014

OS: Windows 7
IDE: Visual Studio 2008 Express
Software Engineering experience: A mixture of novice, intermediate, and advanced

Hello, and good day to anyone who reads this. I was directed here from
BlenderArtists.org, and so this post is mostly from what I wrote in that forum.

I am attempting to learn and manipulate the Blender codebase in order
to gain some experience in programming, and just for fun. I have
decided to attempt to improve the Outliner and start learning the
codebase from there.

I have a design model planned which includes a few things like:

1)Implementing Python script grouping/ordering/filtering - which will be
stackable/layerable. Variables within the script can, optionally, be
exposed as a property within a n-panel panel.

2)Redoing and improving grouping/ordering – namely, any item can be filtered
in accordance with ANY property

3)Conveniently displaying ANY property for any grouped items - By items I mean
objects, materials, modifiers, constraints, etc...

---------------------MY PROBLEM

I have decided that the python filters and their respective variables need
to be placed within the side panel/n-panel. So far this is where I have begun
and am currently stuck.

My current problem is that I have coded (copied, pasted and then modified)
everything that I know of for a side panel/n-panel for the outliner, but
the side panel is not showing up. My code executes, but the side panel doesn't show up.

So far I am just trying to imitate what other coders have done, namely by
copying and pasting their code. .

I suppose there could easily be more code involved to create an n-panel area
but I just don't know what. Can anyone help? If you could, at least, tell me
what other areas of code I should be using as an example to implement a
n-panel that would be wonderful.

NOTE: Originally there was a " .patch " file here that I wanted to show anyone
who reads this, but I can't. So if you would like to see the .patch file then you
can get a copy from the thread titled "I am attempting to improve Blender's
Outliner and I could use some help" at BlenderArtists.org within the
"Beginning Blender Code and Development" section.

Or I can transfer it to you through the "mIRC" chat client. Assuming my evaluation
still functions at the time of your request.

Thanks.