[Bf-committers] Git rebase/merge question

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Thu May 1 12:00:03 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I have a public branch (bake-cycles in git.blender.org) that started from a
local branch, where I was using rebase from master all the time, but moved
to upstream, where I've been doing merges from master often.

Now that the time to merge back to master is coming close, I want to squash
most of my old commits in logical blocks. The problem is, although when I
was working locally my commits were all nicely stacked together (due to
rebase), they are now scattered all over the git log (due to merge).

Is there an automatic way to convert a "merge branch" into a "rebase
branch"? Once I had a "rebase branch" it would be much easier for me to do
some rebase -i for squashing and re-order commits for the final merge.

Otherwise I will have to resort to splitting the commits based on the
files, which is not ideal in my case.

Many thanks,
Dalai