[Bf-committers] Vertex Pinning

Alexey Akishin alex at science.su
Mon Mar 24 11:52:55 CET 2014

On Monday 24 March 2014 03:53:30 patrick boelens wrote:
> > I've linked to patch D424, if all you want to do is see geometry for
> > hidden faces this could be a simpler alternative to pinning.
> I will try the patch tomorrow, but initially I feel like this is rather a clunky solution; especially with the recent focus on ease-of-use and clear user interaction.
> Hiding and pinning are semantically very different i.m.h.o.
> I think it would be analogous to an Object mode situation where you would have to hide an object and run a "show all objects" operator, rather than just locking the position.
> I feel hiding serves a fundamentally different purpose, and it's just currently being (ab)used as a substitute for pinning. Hiding elements currently also excludes them from transforms, but that is not its main function. Calling "hide", followed by "show hidden" just feels a bit makeshift I think.
> In addition to that, the ability to still select vertices may be useful with regards to both cursor positioning, as well as for use in determining the operation pivot (in case of median point pivot and such).
> I could also imagine a scenario where you want to hide part of a mesh (i.e.: body) to focus in on a specific portion of it (i.e.: face), but still want the ability to pin certain vertices within that portion. "Show all" would reveal back the entire body, and hiding those specific vertices may not be ideal.
> Lastly, I could also envision a situation where you would keep vertices pinned for a long period of time, but still want to keep hiding and revealing parts of the mesh while working on it.
	This is what I often miss when working on complicated models. Just pin some geometry and still be able to hide/unhide parts of a mesh as I want. Ability to use pinned verticies for cursor positioning is also could be useful in some cases. Pinning and hiding are different things. Option to "show all" hidden geometry is better than nothing, but it will not replace pinning in many cases and will be just another counterintuitive workaround. So I would like to add my vote for pinning. Thank you very much for working on it.