[Bf-committers] Vertex Pinning

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 00:34:26 CET 2014

Pinning on its own is relatively simple to add, first I'd like to find
if this is really worth adding from user POV, given you can already
hide vertices to avoid editing them.

In fact we discussed this with some of the gooseberry artists and they
didn't think this was so useful / important to add.

One thing thats still not clear to me is when should tools support this?

- Should edges between pinned vertices be subdivided?

- Should assigning vertices to a group skip pinned vertices?

- Should the rip tool allow pinned vertices to be ripped?

I think we should be clear about where pinning applies to avoid adding
some feature then getting a steady stream of bug reports when users
notice some tool doesn't respect pinned vertices.

If we limit pinning to transform + deformation tools then this could
work (grab, rotate... etc + smooth, snap, warp, blend-from-shape)
...  but not attempt to support this for every tool (don't make this a
second 'hide' option).

One more thing...
The possability to have laplacian deform in editmode (to work like
pinned UV's), would be a really nice feature.

----

Regarding internals...

I'm more concerned long term with tools having to check both
`BM_ELEM_HIDDEN` and some `BM_ELEM_PIN` flag.

Though some inline function could work...

`BM_elem_flag_test(ele, BM_ELEM_HIDDEN)`

... could be replaced with a macro/fincion...

` BM_elem_is_editable(ele)`
---
inline bool BM_elem_is_editable(BMElem *ele)
{
    char testflag = (BM_ELEM_HIDDEN | BM_ELEM_PIN);
    return (BM_elem_flag_test(ele, testflag) == testflag);
}

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 3:28 AM, patrick boelens <p_boelens at msn.com> wrote:
> Hi Antony,
>
> I'm not at all familiar with Blender's codebase, so could you give me a fix proposal? 1 << 6 is unused; is it safe to push BM_ELEM_DRAW and BL_ELEM_INTERNAL_TAG back one, or could that cause problems?
>
> Cheers,
> Patrick
>
>> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 10:13:13 +0200
>> From: kalast at gmail.com
>> To: bf-committers at blender.org
>> Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Vertex Pinning
>>
>> One basic flaw:
>>
>> hflag is a character so you are causing an overflow with
>>
>> BM_ELEM_INTERNAL_TAG or it may simply be ignored.

- Campbell