[Bf-committers] Prospective GSOC [Harshit Mehta]

Harshit Mehta harshitmehta2293 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 12:26:43 CET 2014

Hi,

Thanks everyone for going through my ideas.
I am dividing my reply in two parts.

*** Improvements in decimate
I agree that it would not be right to disturb the generic way modifiers
are, but a decimate as a brush could be done.
Further, selective poly-reduction could be done by making vertex groups but
won't it be too cumbersome to repeat this process for vertices
in different parts of mesh?  I feel, brush could be very much handy in such
cases. Many scultping softwares like zbrush and sculptris have
such tools. ( http://www.pasteall.org/pic/68339 )

For internal symmetry detection (previous mail), I plan to use algorithms
of partial and approximate matching explained in
http://lgg.epfl.ch/publications/2006/mitra_2006_PAS.pdf

For mesh reduction considering color, texture and other vertex
properties (previous
mail), this paper provides extension of normal edge
collapse technique:
http://goo.gl/snnt89

*** Tool-matching from other softwares
Space-bar search is very handy and it would be only wise to improve it
further rather than bringing in new competitor (too much clutter).
I understand the constant maintenance my idea requires and how it could
annoy seasoned blender users. I would love to implement
tool-matching part as an addon outside soc for people migrating from other
softwares.

Harshit Mehta
Email: harshitmehta2293 at gmail.com
Phone No: +918058412102