[Bf-committers] Prospective GSOC [Harshit Mehta]

Grigory Revzin revzingg at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 15:05:40 CET 2014

Hi

Since the Spacebar-menu already is a kind of a "micro-search engine",
mabye it's a better idea to focus on its improvement? I don't feel
there is a need for a new panel if Space-menu's there.
You can start with adding aliases/keywords for some operators (e. g.
"Set As Bind Pose" Maya-esque alias for "Apply As Rest Pose") to help
searching for the operators. Space-menu can display the hints on where
to find the operator in the UI, like it does with hotkeys. Keywords
can be used to handle your "add edges" example.
Also, a way to access modifiers from the space menu would help, etc etc etc

- Grigory

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Harshit Mehta
<harshitmehta2293 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have already stated a part of my work (improvements in decimate modifier)
> i wish to do for GSOC '14. I said in previous mail that i would love to add
> one more modifier. Instead I thought of a search feature in blender.
>
> While switching from Maya to blender, one problem i faced was finding
> similar tools. What is called 'decimate' in blender is 'reduce' in maya,
> 'optimize' in 3ds max.  So i plan to develop a search menu on info panel
> header (or add a new panel altogether) where user selects his previous 3D
> software and searches for a menu option present in it. In return he gets an
> equivalent one in blender with directions on how to reach it i.e
>
> panel --> region --> menu --> tool/option
>
> It could compensate need for tutorials (and googling) for artists already
> used to other softwares . I know blender's workflow is quite intuitive but
> such a search facility would definitely be a worthy addition. It would be
> just simple queries answered from offline database.
>
> Other than matching commands across softwares, i also plan for a
> micro-search engine. If I query ' add edges' i should get various ways of
> doing so maybe 1. knife 2. loop cut and slide. This is a very primitive
> example. It would be able to perform searches of higher complexities. A
> professional software much appreciated for its good help is MATLAB from
> mathworks. I don't wish such huge help but a small (small size of blender
> is one of its positive points) and efficient one removing dependency on
> internet.
>
> I am eagerly waiting for feedback from developers on my both ideas. Once I
> get it I could proceed further with my proposal.
>

> Harshit Mehta
> Email: harshitmehta2293 at gmail.com
> Phone No: +918058412102
> IRC nick: Harshit22