[Bf-committers] Prospective GSOC [Harshit Mehta]

Harshit Mehta harshitmehta2293 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 13:26:20 CET 2014

Hello,

I have already stated a part of my work (improvements in decimate modifier)
i wish to do for GSOC '14. I said in previous mail that i would love to add
one more modifier. Instead I thought of a search feature in blender.

While switching from Maya to blender, one problem i faced was finding
similar tools. What is called 'decimate' in blender is 'reduce' in maya,
'optimize' in 3ds max.  So i plan to develop a search menu on info panel
header (or add a new panel altogether) where user selects his previous 3D
software and searches for a menu option present in it. In return he gets an
equivalent one in blender with directions on how to reach it i.e

panel --> region --> menu --> tool/option

It could compensate need for tutorials (and googling) for artists already
used to other softwares . I know blender's workflow is quite intuitive but
such a search facility would definitely be a worthy addition. It would be
just simple queries answered from offline database.

Other than matching commands across softwares, i also plan for a
micro-search engine. If I query ' add edges' i should get various ways of
doing so maybe 1. knife 2. loop cut and slide. This is a very primitive
example. It would be able to perform searches of higher complexities. A
professional software much appreciated for its good help is MATLAB from
mathworks. I don't wish such huge help but a small (small size of blender
is one of its positive points) and efficient one removing dependency on
internet.

I am eagerly waiting for feedback from developers on my both ideas. Once I
get it I could proceed further with my proposal.

Harshit Mehta
Email: harshitmehta2293 at gmail.com
Phone No: +918058412102
IRC nick: Harshit22