[Bf-committers] Prospective GSoC student (Elijah Voigt)

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 06:17:31 CET 2014

Hey!

Always cool to see new people wanting to get involved! :)

The best ever step to get into Blender code is to get it compiled on your
system. If you didn't do this yet [1] will help you a bunch.

Once it's done you can start getting familiar with the code. You can hack
into modifiers code (i.e. solidify modifier you've been interested in is in
source/blender/modifiers/intern/MOD_solidify.c). You can start playing
around with that code or so.

Another good idea could be to get familiar with the code is to check on the
bug tracker [2], pick some bug you think is interesting and not so
difficult and try to fix. That's how lots of us got involved into the code
:)

And one more thing for now, you're always welcome in #blendercoders IRC
room at irc.freenode.net. There you can have more instant feedback.

Looking forward seeing your development! :)

[1] http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Building_Blender
[2] https://developer.blender.org/

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 2:19 AM, Elijah Caine <homeworkbad at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Blender Foundation Committers,
>
> I am currently looking into applying to Blender for the Google Summer of
> Code and would love some advice to improve my Application.
>
> I have been using Blender since I was 12 years of age, I am currently 18
> and in my first year attending Oregon State University studying Computer
> Science. I have used Blender for personal projects, taught it at my school,
> and have loved it very much. Until recently I have not had the means nor
> the a reason to delve into the code for Blender, but have always wanted to.
>
> I have not contributed to the project yet but am interested in doing so. I
> recently forked the code successfully got it to compile after following the
> tutorial on the wiki. I have also looked at the 'Ideas' page for GSOC and
> am interested in working with Modifiers (Specifically the Solidify idea) or
> the Game Engine, because I have little experience in that area and want to
> learn more.
>
> I have some experience with both C/C++ as well as Python, so contributing
> to this project would require me to learn some new tools but not any new
> languages.
>
> I have looked at the issues page for ways to help but have not yet been
> able to contribute code.
>
> Blender has affected my life greatly and I want to contribute to the
> project. Any pre-application advice you could give me would be wonderful.
>
> Thank you,
> Elijah
>
> Website (Includes portfolio and resume):
> people.oregonstate.edu/~voigte
>
> irc.freenode.net Nick:
> pop_n_fresh

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin