[Bf-committers] Import, research on speed improvements

Dan Eicher dan at eu.phorio.us
Mon Mar 10 04:38:21 CET 2014

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Fredrik hansson <
fredrikhansson_12345 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> hi,
>  have recently written a obj loader myself just for fun. now i did try
> optimize it quite a bit by making it multithreaded and a few other
> things.

<snip>

> // Fredrik
>
> Kind of curious how multi-threaded parsing would keep the verts in order
since the order they're defined in the file is where the face indices come
from?

I'm pretty tempted to write a C++ .obj parser -- I've written a few python
ones in the last few years to test out parsing algorithms since the grammar
is simple and there's plenty of example files out there. The last one
(testing my py3k+metaclass conversion of spark.py, the earley parser from
the python source tree) was something like 100x slower than Campbell's
handwritten one but that's to be expected from a slowish algorithm that can
parse pretty much any grammar you throw at it.

Been wanting to play with Boost::Spirit so maybe I can knock out something
fairy quickly using my (mostly complete) grammar from spark.py.

Dan