[Bf-committers] GSoC 2014 Applications

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Tue Mar 4 02:59:48 CET 2014

I'm wouldn't be the one to mentor this project, but I'll give some
feedback. From a quick read of the proposal, the main problem I see is
that it is proposing a specific solution but it's lacking practical
examples.

As I understand it, this allows you to match the histogram of one
image to that of another image. Would you use that for e.g. a
integrating rendered objects into recorded footage, to ensure the
colors match? Are there other uses?

Is matching the histogram the best algorithm for matching colors of
rendered images with footage? Does other compositing software have
similar functionality? Is there sufficient user control if the
matching does not work as well as the user wants? Would this be
temporally coherent in an animation or would it perhaps give sudden
color changes?

Not all those questions might have a clear answer before finishing the
project, but it's important to consider them.

Brecht.