[Bf-committers] Proposed change for (not) rendering with missing links

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 03:08:46 CET 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 3:06 AM, Alberto Torres <kungfoobar at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Having to specifically support each version control system would IMHO
>> be a mistake,
>>

> I don't think it's a big deal if you just support the presence of VCS (no
> need to interact with them). Maybe just as an initial step of setting up
> routes.

Its not a big deal - sure, but I'd consider it out of scope for
Blender to attemt to integrate with version control, even at such a
basic level - svn/git/mercurial/bzr/darcs/perforce/alianbrain/bitkeeper...
list goes on.
We can't easily test all of these and if theres some issues or some
company has own in-house system. We just give ourselves problems to
solve for the minor feature of knowing the root path of a project.

> Or yeah, we can make a .blendproject file or something like that for
> defining such repositories.

Yep, something like that can work and store project settings too
(default paths and project level preferences).
Someone can always make a Python script that looks at git/svn... etc
repo and creates a Blender project file if they want.

--
- Campbell