[Bf-committers] Proposed change for (not) rendering with missing links

Angus Hollands goosey15 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 00:50:21 CET 2014

I agree with Ton's concern for lazy design. Where we (developers) can
prevent such errors from occurring within Blender, we should in preference
to forcing the user to isolate the issue.

However, when considering the argument by the original poster, which
concerned long render times that were wasted because of missing textures /
libs, if these problems occurred because a file / library was deleted
outside of the Blender Environment, then I believe this request is more
justified. Blender doesn't have to fix your mistakes, just alert you to the
fact that it has happened.

Printing error messages to the console is a bad idea in my opinion. You
soon have multiple different points-of-dialogue which can confuse people
more than it needs to, especially those who do not realise that a) there is
a console window (Windows most often) and b) It's used for that purpose.