[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code - proposal hints

Piotrek Chwała piotrek.chwala at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 22:55:56 CET 2014

Hello Blender Developers!

Since Blender Foundation is accepted as Google Summer of Code 2014
organization, I would love to take part in this event and help Blender to
be the best. For now, I'm at the stage where I have compiled blender
sources and I'm reading the code. As your developer wiki advise, I will
look for some quick and simple todos to get myself familiar with the code
base (side question: is
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/Development/Todo/Simple_Todossite
up-to-date? If not, where can I find simple todos?).

On March 10 students applications will start and, as I understand, I will
need to submit my proposal. I was considering doing something with Video
Editor, but as I can see, "This is not a typical beginner project though".
In this case I'm curious what is your opinion about most suitable project
for me. Take into consideration that I have just begun blender development.

My short bio:
I was playing with blender in my youth for 6 years (2004-2009) (some of my
works: http://hfaua.hostei.com/portfolio/gcng/1.jpg
http://hfaua.hostei.com/portfolio/dworek/1.jpg). Then I started to focus
mostly on programming and improving my algorithmic skills. Now I'm 21 and
since 2012 I'm studying Computer Science at AGH University of Science and
Technology in Krakow, Poland. Since may 2013 I'm also working as C++
Software Developer at X-Formation (we're making security and licensing
software).

TL;DR; I'm a student, C++ developer and blender lover. I would like to take
part in GSoC 2014. I have little experience with blender code base (will
improve shortly!). What would be the best project for me to submit in GSoC
proposal to maximize value for community and possibility of completing on
time? :-)

P.S. My apologies if this is not suitable place for posting such questions.