[Bf-committers] Proposed change for (not) rendering with missing links

patrick boelens p_boelens at msn.com
Sat Mar 1 02:52:49 CET 2014

The only problem I see with this solution is when you actually know you're missing resources (i.e.: third-party textures), but want to render regardless.

I think for headless mode this would probably be less of an issue, especially considering who uses that and in which situations.

Perhaps for GUI-Blender we could show a confirmation screen, operator-style?

"You are about to render with missing resources (see render_errors.txt). Would you like to continue?" -> [Yes | No].

The second thing I'd like to address is: How do we make it clear to the user which resources are missing? Could a linked in .blend not be found, or is it a texture's image? Again, for headless mode it could probably just be printed to the console, so no issues there. But for regular use, perhaps a textblock could be created? This would give room to provide all the needed info. For instance:

Missing Mesh Data "Circle.042" from "./Costumes.blend"
Objects affected: Cloak

Missing ../../textures/eyes.png in texture "Eyes.002"
Materials affected: Face1, Face2
Objects affected: Elf_F, Elf_M, Elf_M.001

Missing ../../textures/mouth.png in texture "Face"
Materials affected: Face1, Face2
Objects affected: Elf_F, Elf_M, Elf_M.001

Just thinking out loud here. =)

Cheers,
Patrick