[Bf-committers] Website Idea, Feedback Appreciated

Johnny Matthews johnny.matthews at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 00:36:24 CEST 2014

So I had an idea of a way to make sharing shader trees / materials easier.
It goes like this:

User #1
1) Sets up a cool cycles shader
2) Using an Add-on, upload it an account on Sharing Website
3) Shader Tree definition gets converted to a JSON object, transmitted to
the site and stored in a database.
4) A daemon running on another box generates a test render of the material
making it available on the website.

Other Users
1) Users on the site can browse, tag, critique, favorite materials they like
2) They can get a code from the site that they can plug into the add-on to
download the JSON, which gets parsed and reconverted back into a nodetree
in their active material in the node editor.

I've got proof of concept on the JSON conversion.

Thoughts? Is it a dumb idea?

Johnny Matthews
johnny.matthews at gmail.com