[Bf-committers] Luminance Coefficients

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 02:37:19 CEST 2014

While looking through Blender's code, I noticed that there were legacy hard
coded values for luminance.

These are hard coded values based on the sRGB and 709 primaries, as opposed
to the particular color spaces a given OCIO configuration may have. This
would lead to incorrect derivation of luminance if the reference space is
not sRGB / 709.

I decided to patch Blender to use the reference space coefficients listed
in the OCIO configuration file, which is relatively straightforward.

The coefficients are summoned per pixel, which would mean having a global
structure useful to reference them, but I don't see a relevant place to
store them.

It would seem logical to store them on configuration loading, reloading,
and potentially if a set coefficients call is made.

Where and how does it make sense to store these values in Blender's
architecture?

With respect,
TJS