[Bf-committers] Towards C++11

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 11:11:56 CEST 2014

General +1 to take advantage of C++11 where appropriate,
AFAICS OSX needs some investigation?, otherwise we're close to being
able to support it.

@Tom M: I'm not concerned with static checking tools, mainly because
using C++11 in a few places won't suddenly make static checkers fail
on the rest of our code, eventually they will get updated too.

Coverity has support:
https://communities.coverity.com/docs/DOC-1571
clang-static-analyser didn't work well for me last I checked with C++,
but it might have improved in last year or so.

@Ichthyo: Not being able to build Blender on older Linux isnt such a
big deal since Blender can still run on them, if its important they
can get a new compiler (I did this on a CentOS server, compiling a
newer GCC/Clang isnt that big of a deal).

@Jeffrey H: C++11 doesn't raise hardware requirements.

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Jeffrey H <italic.rendezvous at gmail.com> wrote:
> What about older hardware? I don't know much about C++11, but I would
> imagine it takes advantage of newer processor instruction sets and I know
> new compilers do the same. Would Blender still run on, say, an old Pentium
> 4? The reason I ask is simply because a large number of users use Blender
> because it's able to run on the proverbial toaster, where Maya and other
> programs cannot. Is this actually an issue or am I just making stuff up?
>

> On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Ichthyostega <prg at ichthyostega.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 06.06.2014 17:54, schrieb Sergey Sharybin:
>> > Why it might be useful?
>>
>> > C++11 brings some neat syntax and STD library extensions.
>>
>> ..plus the benefit you can get from using functors / closures wisely.
>>

>> Downside is that we have to cut off some platforms / compilers.
>>
>> Basically we need GCC >= 4.7 and Clang >= 3.0
>>
>> And anything below that will not be supported anymore.
>> Like RedHat Enterprise Linux. :-P
>>

>> Sounds like something for Blender 2.8.x
>>
>>         --Ichthyo

> --