[Bf-committers] Towards C++11

Jeffrey H italic.rendezvous at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 07:18:00 CEST 2014

What about older hardware? I don't know much about C++11, but I would
imagine it takes advantage of newer processor instruction sets and I know
new compilers do the same. Would Blender still run on, say, an old Pentium
4? The reason I ask is simply because a large number of users use Blender
because it's able to run on the proverbial toaster, where Maya and other
programs cannot. Is this actually an issue or am I just making stuff up?

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Ichthyostega <prg at ichthyostega.de> wrote:

> Am 06.06.2014 17:54, schrieb Sergey Sharybin:
> > Why it might be useful?
>
> > C++11 brings some neat syntax and STD library extensions.
>
> ..plus the benefit you can get from using functors / closures wisely.
>

> Downside is that we have to cut off some platforms / compilers.
>
> Basically we need GCC >= 4.7 and Clang >= 3.0
>
> And anything below that will not be supported anymore.
> Like RedHat Enterprise Linux. :-P
>

> Sounds like something for Blender 2.8.x
>
>         --Ichthyo

Jeffrey "Italic_" Hoover