[Bf-committers] Differential system - Patch Tracker 2.0?

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 09:19:30 CEST 2014

It is kind of a patch tracker, and i'd rather see it used more than the
"patch tracker" you've linked in. It's totally different workflow and IMO
it's much nicer than just sharing patches as files. IN differencial you can
always comment lines, compare revisions of the patches real easy. And i
don't see any issues with having long-term patches hosted in there. So the
actions there should be:

- If one does have a differential revision which is in "Needs action" group
go reviewing it
- If the patch is not gonna to be accepted anyway and it's still under the
review, commandeer it and abandone
- If the patch is good and not committed, go poking author (if he does have
commit rights) or commit it yourself.

But please, do not suggest moving patch review from the system which is
designed for this to a task tracker where reviewing is such a pain the soft
limb.

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 5:43 AM, Thomas Dinges <blender at dingto.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> I think our Differential System slowly becomes „Patch Tracker 2.0“.
>
> There are a lot of patches in there that are either:
> a) Not reviewed or only partially reviewed, waiting for an action.
> b) Obsolete, rejected or not intended to continue work there.
>
> Especially on page 2, there are a lot of open patches from hg1, that have
> been reviewed by Brecht already, but await further actions by GE people.
> Can the maintainers of the specific areas please check on this more often?
> Also I thought we wanted to check on patches for the 2.72 release? ;)
>
> All I ask is, that patches there are not kept open forever. Either they
> get reviewed and committed, or rejected. For long term projects we still
> have the regular Patch Tracker here
> https://developer.blender.org/maniphest/project/2/type/Patch/
>
> Thomas

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin