[Bf-committers] GLSL display mode

Antony Riakiotakis kalast at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 20:24:49 CEST 2014

Hi,

The merge of the paint branch brought material display support in the 3d
viewport.
This means that users can get the equivalent of the GLSL textured display
mode just by choosing material display mode in the 3D viewport.

Now the option itself is redundant for the blender content creation system
but trying to eliminate the option, I found that the game engine uses the
GLSL flag too, and as a global option rather than a per editor flag
instead. One thing I could do is just hide the option when the game engine
is inactive. Alternatively, we could simplify this by supporting GLSL
materials in the game engine based on editor. However this might not be
what game engine users or developers would like. Personally I don't mind
having this kind of duplication but a user asked about it today and
arguably it's two ways to do the exact same thing.

Any thoughts here?