[Bf-committers] can we update ffmpeg to have RTSP support?

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 17:06:34 CEST 2014

This is a feature quality question. There are lots of stuff which is
already used from FFmpeg (and which requires quite reasonable amount of
time to maintain) and there are much more stuff which could be enabled as
well. Main question here is: who's gonna to maintain this? And maintain
means communicate with the users in the tracker, making sure this stuff
works in upcoming bledner releases, invest time on fixing stuff when it
becomes broken (and stuff tends to become broken in FFmpeg).

And another not less important question: where do we draw the line of what
we accept from FFmpeg? As said, it's already too much codecs supported,
making configuration panel rather cluttered and even presets are rather
crappy atm. All this requires rather bigger cleanup already. Not really
with adding stuff which will increase entropy of crappyness even more.

But seems we need to update FFmpeg anyway (because of
https://developer.blender.org/T41065) so technically tweaking configuration
flags is not that much an issue. But again, who's gonna to maintain this
thing?

Also, who wants to cleanup existing FFmpeg interface/presets? This all runs
rather out of control.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Dalai Felinto <dfelinto at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> What do I want:
> ---------------------
> FFmpeg libs to be compiled with: "--enable-network
> --enable-protocol=tcp --enable-demuxer=rtsp --enable-decoder=h264"
>

> Why do I need that for:
> ---------------------------------
> RTSP is used for 'remote camera' viewing, which in turn is a
> requirement for some VR (Virtual Reality) installations. BlenderCAVE
> (a VR framework) is in need that at the moment, and although they may
> be able to fix their issue with patching their Blender, I would rather
> see this available to more people.
>
> Bug report: https://developer.blender.org/T41004
>

> I'm ok with RTSP but why the enable-decoder=h264?

> When I found the rtsp building instructions in the internet, the h264
> was together, so it may be required. Also there is a known issue of
> the game engine being extremely slow to playback some video formats.
> I'm suspecting the lack of some decoders may be a reason for that.
>
> That said I'm getting some mixed google results on the license of h264
> for playback (decoding). I'm no lawyer so does anyone know if there is
> any license issue with that? Maybe the h264 bit is not needed only the
> rtsp ... to be investigated.
>

> Thanks for the consideration, let me know your thoughts,
> Dalai
> --
> blendernetwork.org/dalai-felinto
> www.dalaifelinto.com