[Bf-committers] can we update ffmpeg to have RTSP support?

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 16:37:04 CEST 2014

Hi,

What do I want:
---------------------
FFmpeg libs to be compiled with: "--enable-network
--enable-protocol=tcp --enable-demuxer=rtsp --enable-decoder=h264"

Why do I need that for:
---------------------------------
RTSP is used for 'remote camera' viewing, which in turn is a
requirement for some VR (Virtual Reality) installations. BlenderCAVE
(a VR framework) is in need that at the moment, and although they may
be able to fix their issue with patching their Blender, I would rather
see this available to more people.

Bug report: https://developer.blender.org/T41004

I'm ok with RTSP but why the enable-decoder=h264?
When I found the rtsp building instructions in the internet, the h264
was together, so it may be required. Also there is a known issue of
the game engine being extremely slow to playback some video formats.
I'm suspecting the lack of some decoders may be a reason for that.

That said I'm getting some mixed google results on the license of h264
for playback (decoding). I'm no lawyer so does anyone know if there is
any license issue with that? Maybe the h264 bit is not needed only the
rtsp ... to be investigated.

Thanks for the consideration, let me know your thoughts,
Dalai
--
blendernetwork.org/dalai-felinto
www.dalaifelinto.com