[Bf-committers] Any git suggestion to force the commit date to be correctly ordered when pushing?

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Fri Jul 11 23:55:11 CEST 2014

Hi,
dfelinto at gmail.com (2014-07-11 at 1222.38 -0300):
> >From time to time I forget to re-set the time of some individual
> commits (git commit --amend --reset-author) and I end up with commits
> showing up in the wrong order in bf-cvs list. (most recent example:
> 1aabbf8 and 92c8dd1). It tends to happen when I'm working in a branch,
> and squash commits.

92c8dd1 has
Date:   Mon Jul 7 12:30:43 2014 -0300
index 1c3e223..0b80a57

1aabbf8 has
Date:   Mon Jul 7 12:46:25 2014 -0300
index 0b80a57..a9516e6

Notice 0b80a57 and 12:30 < 12:46.

https://developer.blender.org/rB92c8dd16dfa9c1ffe7f4d2912bf1bf78b82c3894
has Committed dfelinto Fri, Jul 11, 4:43 PM

https://developer.blender.org/rB1aabbf8476a253b49437691c041bede34d8f4227
has Committed dfelinto Fri, Jul 11, 4:44 PM

Now 4:43 < 4:44 (no time zones/offsets... *sigh*). And pages even
point 92c8dd1 is the parent of 1aabbf8.

All looks correct, doesn't it? Or do you mean it should be "1aabbf8
parent of 92c8dd1"?

> If the only issue is the order that bf-cvs uses to show the commits
> than it may not be an issue. But I suspect it may lead to
> misinformation in the future and could be avoided.

The proper way is to use git log or similar tools that look at the
repository data. Mail systems don't have to always process the emails
in the same order, so they are not trustable sources for this.

http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2014-July/date.html
currently shows 92c8dd1 then 1aabbf8, but could have picked other
order if one of the emails was delayed. Your own mail app could be
showing them in any order. Mails apps don't have to know about git
specifics.

GSR