[Bf-committers] Proposed Noise Modifier

Greg Zaal gregzzmail at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 15:39:55 CET 2014

Just my 2 cents:

"Displacement" in terms of the English definition means "the action of
moving something from its place or position".

While I know that in CG terms it refers to individual vertex displacement
using some texture to give detail or randomness to a mesh, the English
definition would still describe this new function of displacing the
instance as a whole. I think it would be most intuitive to join the
proposed modifier with the Displacement modifier as Campbell suggested,
with a Constant/Texture/Noise enum. And unless I'm misunderstanding, I
don't really see the point of the vertex noise idea - just use a small
colour noise texture with the displacement modifier set to RGB>XYZ (though
perhaps this textureless way is much faster?)

Plus the modifier list is long enough already :)

Cheers (and thanks for this great feature!)
Greg Zaal