[Bf-committers] Weekly Blender developer minutes, February 16, 2014

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 05:46:28 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Tamito KAJIYAMA
<rd6t-kjym at asahi-net.or.jp> wrote:
> Just a few remarks:
>
>  > - Tamito Kajiyama worked with Campbell on the Python issue with
> non-latin fonts. Campbell found it's a bug in 3.3, but fixed in Python
> 3.4 (not officially released yet).
>  > Suggestion is to not release with a new Python now, but provide it as
> official testbuild instead.
>
> For the sake of Python's reputation, the bug is in Blender and not in
> Python. The issue is about character encodings and not related to fonts.
>
> Regards,

Was going to reply since I was surprised to read this in the meeting
notes. wasnt sure if the details were important...

Seems its more a compatibility issue with Blender/Python3.3/MS-Windows...

The issue is our datablock names are utf8 which can represent
characters not available in mbcs encoding (mainly used on ms-win). So
Blender asks python to run a file and Python can't encode it into the
filesystem native format so it wont run the script at all.

The patch I made happens to use a function from Python3.4, however I
could probably workaround that if its really needed... but to do this
is a real kludge (use dummy filename and insert a new one into
Python's code object after its created). for now I prefer to release
with the bug.