[Bf-committers] Proposed Noise Modifier

Patrice Bertrand patrice.bertrand.eu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 16:58:05 CET 2014

Hi,
Keep in mind that the main goal is to add randomness to arrays of objects
and to dedicated objects, which clearly the displacement modifier will not
do.  The "individual vertices" mode is just a simple by-product, like
"while we're at it we could as well shift vertices".   When it comes to
shifting vertices, clearly, this is very coarse, and displacement+texture
is far more powerfull and flexible.  But overall I don't think the proposed
noise modifier is redundant.
This being said, I did think of adding a 'along normal' option to the
vertex mode, which would act a tiny bit like a displacement, albeit without
any of the patterns that textures allow.