[Bf-committers] Proposed Noise Modifier

metalliandy metalliandy666 at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 16 02:48:14 CET 2014

Campbell,

I can understand why you don't want to bloat Blender by adding a bunch
of redundant or unnecessary modifiers, but I really don't think that
situation is true in this case.

I just want to be clear that I have only ever use the
displacement/texture workflow out of necessity because no other solution
exists in Blender and wouldn't use it again if the dedicated modifier
was available.
The problem is that the displacement modifier is extremely slow to
update results to the point where it is probably the slowest modifier in
Blender that I personally use. I would rather sculpt the noise in ZBrush
much of the time because tweaking values is such an ordeal. :P

In any case a displacement modifier isn't a good place to have a
dedicated noise function, which should be reserved for actual
displacement from height maps etc. This is what people expect from
displacement to start with and using it to generate something as simple
as random noise is a super hacky and inefficient workflow which we
should really be trying to move away from as Blender continues to mature
into an application that is taken seriously in production. People won't
be looking in the displacement modifier for a noise function because its
not the logical place for it to be.

Rather than adding new features (and more code) to the already slow
displacement modifier, wouldn't it be much more efficient and more
obvious to the user to have a dedicated noise modifier for the purposes
of generating noise on a mesh? Ofc, the displacement modifier can always
be rewritten to make it faster at a later date in order to increase its
performance too.

It's much more preferable to have 5 dedicated modifiers that are
specifically designed for one job each (and do them well) than 1
modifier that does 5 jobs poorly.

Cheers,

-Andy