[Bf-committers] Randomness in arrays

stephen swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Thu Feb 6 19:45:59 CET 2014

On 02/06/2014 08:44 AM, Patrice Gmail wrote:
>   In
>      Blender we need repeatable randomness, in the sense that the same
>      file should produce the very same pseudo-random result.
The trick to doing this is to set the random number generator seed to a
know value.  After that, you get a repeatable sequence of random values.

In Old Blender, there was a script (Scatter?  Throw?) that randomly
placed objects around a scene.

My intuition tells me you are trying to push the array modifier beyond
what it was meant to do.  The problem you describe with randomness in
more than one dimension is a sign of this.

But being able to randomize the position and rotation of a set of
objects (or copies of objects!) seems like a very useful thing.

S.