[Bf-committers] New game engine-no GPL

Arnaud Loonstra arnaud at sphaero.org
Thu Feb 6 16:53:13 CET 2014

On 02/06/2014 04:16 PM, Erwin Coumans wrote:
> http://gamekit.org does exactly this, using Ogre. It extracts any data directly from a blend file, from animationp, camera and lights to game logic nodes.  You could reuse any bits from that, if you want to start from scratch on your own game engine.
>
> Gamekit only uses permissive licenses (BSD, MIT, zlib etc), professional game developer
> usually avoid (L)GPL in their game engines. In their tools they might use LGPL.
>
> Sent from my iPad

Gamekit is indeed great. It's the basis for the Massive Engine, although
I don't think they contribute back. (that's what you get with those
permissive licenses :) )

How is gamekit developing actually? It doesn't get that much exposure
which puzzles me.
I have been wondering why this engine isn't replacing the current game
engine. The thing I only miss is the fact that it uses Lua and not
Python which makes it incompatible with the current engine.

Rg,

Arnaud
--
w: http://www.sphaero.org