[Bf-committers] Color space issues in importers/exporters

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 09:02:08 CET 2014

Campbell,

That ad-hoc example is totally extreme. Issues:

- Formats does not specify color space, so you don't know what's the nature
of colors in them.
- Even if you'll figure out  colorspace of the model file what are you
gonna to do with the textures?

Also, it is not always possible to prevent color changes on import: for
example when the model was done in non-colormanaged pipeline where display
space is not invertible.

Antony.
Images you see immediately after opening them and could easily change color
space. Color on your models you might not be able to see for until render,
when it might be simply too late to re-import with proper colorspace.

Also, as other software was mentioned. How does that other software handle
colorspaces for import/export?

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 3:10 AM, Antony Riakiotakis <kalast at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >From the comments on that report (thanks Brecht) it seems that not all
> software exports to srgb after all.
> The way I would "solve" this for such formats is to just have an
> option so the user can select the color space their color data is in,
> same as we do for images.

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin