[Bf-committers] Color space issues in importers/exporters

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 22:21:34 CET 2014

Hi,

First of all, I want to be really sure it is a blender issue, not an issue
of some particular weird working pipeline.

Hence my question here is: how often do you mix software with different
color pipelines (in regards of 3d model interchange, NOT gading/comping sw)?

It sounds a bit weird to use blender with color management enabled and then
export scenes to software which wants everything to be in the display
space. Why not to disable color management in blender then?

Or even, what i the actual (not hypothetical, but practical) issue we're
trying to solve here?

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 1:50 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> As far as I can see the only good solution here is for import/export
> to handle the conversion themselves,
> We can have some convenience functions in `mathutils.Color` so py devs
> can switch between spaces.
>
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 1:40 AM, Antony Riakiotakis <kalast at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello, we have a bug report that claims our importers do not do any
> > sort of color space correction
> > for external assets, see https://developer.blender.org/T43025
> >
> > The issue should be that most exporters presume srgb color space while
> > our material definition is in linear space.
> >
> > I am not sure if the asset formats have an explicit color space in
> > their specification but if not we can assume srgb. In that case, we
> > should make sure to backconvert from srgb to linear when doing
> > material conversion.
> >
> > A quick test importing and exporting an obj from blender has no
> > issues, but that is simply because blender just dumps the linear
> > material value to the file, so reimporting will have the previous
> > value.
> >
> > A way to fix this would be to handle it RNA side assume that assigned
> > colors are considered srgb and convert them internally but this can
> > backfire. It might be better to take care of it in our exporter files.
> >
> > I am sending this to the list because we have a few maintainers for
> > our various asset formats.
>

> --
> - Campbell

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin