[Bf-committers] Pickly details (policy on triling whitespace)

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 21:37:27 CET 2014

While i agree such changes are real PITA the proposed statement in wiki is
too vague IMO.

Is indentation fix a minor or not? Is brace placement changes minor or not?
This is a bit unclear and needs more clear statement (since i know one guy
who does all sort of cleanup all over the code :)

Also, shall we have some general guide stating that trailing whitespace is
not recommended? Or maybe at least make it not recommended to add trailing
whitespace to code which isn't changed (so patches are easier to follow)?

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 1:21 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Regarding devs adding/removing trailing whitespace.
>
> - https://developer.blender.org/rB0fc0cb351b5e838dce7a14e8fe68fb6f7125eab0
> - https://developer.blender.org/rB5d8a207b67aee18cadec742246b9dc9c052bd344
> - https://developer.blender.org/rBfd4720204399e16032574159699d5a26a250e6d5
> - https://developer.blender.org/rB49052c61f8326c11bc733a040372481ea1d7438b
>
> These makes merging branches & applying patches a hassle, while giving
> minimal benifit, not even helping readability.
>
> I recall this topic came up before but couldn't find it on the wiki
> anywhere, so added a note:
>

> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/New_Committer_Info#Commit_.28Best_Practice.29
>
> ----
> Don't make minor changes such as trailing whitespace to existing code
> (unless you're the module owner).
> ----
>
> ... though this could be changed if other devs have a strong opinion.
>
> --
> - Campbell

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin