[Bf-committers] WITH_HEADLESS and OpenGL

Carroll, Michael R michael.r.carroll at intel.com
Thu Dec 11 23:26:57 CET 2014

Hello BF-Committers,

Does building Blender WITH_HEADLESS require linkage with OpenGL?

I have read the renderer doesn't leverage OpenGL at all. I see the window manager/X11 features have been disabled in the WITH_HEADLESS source. However, I attempt to compile (using CMAKE) without any of the WITH_GL_PROFILE* options and bump into OpenGL related compiler errors. They start with the second editors/ object:

[  5%] Building C object source/blender/editors/armature/CMakeFiles/bf_editor_armature.dir/editarmature_sketch.c.o
/blender/blender/source/blender/editors/armature/editarmature_sketch.c:441:26: error: unknown type name 'GLUquadric'
static void sk_drawPoint(GLUquadric *quad, SK_Point *pt, float size)

Would OpenGL have to be shimmed out or is there a build toggle to remove OpenGL?
Many sources in the editors/ folders appear to use OpenGL... can these specifically be removed from a WITH_HEADLESS build?

I have been lurking on the mail list reading related conversations... starting with the March'11 thread with Campbell, Brecht, and Pete. Campbell suggested that adding the WITH_HEADLESS feature could negate the requirement for OpenGL. I have seen a lot of checkins to support WITH_HEADLESS but those same diffs don't appear to remove OpenGL from the build flow.

I'm looking to run Blender for performance analysis on many different platforms. Eliminating any GUI is a requirement. Removing OpenGL would also be extremely helpful.

Thank you,
-MichaelC