[Bf-committers] Fluid dynamic areas for development?

Ronan Ducluzeau zeauron at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 10:04:17 CEST 2014

I am saying that it is great to have particles reacting on collisions, with
force fields, being considered as force fields, deformable by lattice
objects, able to create smoke, dynamic paint effects, etc...
You cannot advance an argument that it is not good because it is not used;
while I am explaining why it is not used.

Except rendering flow as thousands of balls, there is no other way to
render them as a continuous smooth flow.
My old videos were made with a crappy computer with only 4Gigs of RAM.

You have just to search a recent video on youtube about blender and SPH
particles.
http://youtu.be/saiVgFCt8is
There are tons of fluids videos made of little tiny balls.

You can reach better effects than the old simulation.
The old simulation takes also many gigs of .obj meshes.

I tested control fluid object of old simulation, and you have to add a lot
RAM to use it because it generates also a lot of particles for a quality
control.
And it is really hard to manage a flow with that. It is like trying to
control particles direction only with force field of one type (Force).

The old simulation have tracer , drop, floats particles that are absolutely
untweakable by the user. To change them, you have to redo the whole
simulation.

Your creativity is completely stuck to the boundary of domain.

I tested both. And I guarantee you that even if devs found the code
obscure, dirty; artists can achieve great resulsts with it.

Sincerely, I have more doubts about mantaflow. There are probably
interesting algorythms for turbulence.
But I am not sure that obtained flow could be as tweakable as our current
particle system.
I mean we cannot redirect a smoke flow using a lattice.