[Bf-committers] Branch naming

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 09:35:36 CEST 2014

Hi,

Basically this mail is caused by the tendention of using temp_ frefix too
often in my opinion. Namely temp_custom_loop_normals doesn't seem to be so
much temp actually.

I'm fine with having some temp branches where you just clean some stuff up
just before the merge or so. But such branches' TTL should be like few days
max, otherwise it's no longer legit to call it temp.

So what about:

- If you need a temp branch, create one with the temp_ prefix. This branch
is expected to die in few days max.

- If you need a branch to clean up stuff for the review process, use
review_ prefix (or maybe _review suffix?) for the branch name. Review could
take a few weeks (depending on the complexity of the feature). This
branches are easy to delete when they're no longer needed.

- All the rest work is to be done in the self-descriptive branch names.

- Think we can also have prer-dev branch for their own crazy experiments?
This is to be discussed a bit.

- Would ask to poke me or Campbell before creating a new branch, so it's
coordinated what's happening in the repo.

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin