[Bf-committers] Importing Assets: FBX VS Collada

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Apr 28 12:10:07 CEST 2014

Hi,

I've investigated the FBX SDK license 2-3 years ago, and it is inappropriate to use for many reasons. Just the main reasons:

1) Autodesk wants every user to register at their site, and we are held responsible for that.

2) For libre/open source projects, the end user license is restricted to be for evaluation purpose or education only.

3) It is not GPL compliant software anyway.

I am not going to check their licenses each year, they are huge and very complex to read. But I can tell you one thing - Autodesk is not interested in getting FBX or Collada to work outside their user domain. That's our job then.

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute