[Bf-committers] FBX import support

Toni Alatalo toni at playsign.net
Fri Apr 25 17:22:32 CEST 2014

Yes I am also looking at this from game dev angle. Collada did not
come exactly from emptyness there as Sony made it for getting data in
for PS games..

We've also always used engine specific formats, earlier Ogre's formats
and now Three.js's JSON. Those always worked so Collada never seemed
necessary. However, the reason we've touched also Collada recently is
Khronos's glTF. That works so that Collada is converted to json +
binary (gl buffers, optionally with mesh compression) + glsl sources.
It is basically made for straightforward fast loading to (Web)GL. Has
worked well in our tests -- exporting skeletal animations from Blender
as Collada & converting with collada2gltf and playing back with both
their reference webgl viewer & the gltf loader they made for three.js.

One motivation for us to possibly use glTF in the future (with
realxtend.org) is that have understood that Autodesk tools already
have good (enough) Collada exports. So e.g. the three.js community
wouldn't need to maintain exporters for all the modeling tools. And in
our tests so far Blender's Collada export is fine for it too.

I'm however not totally convinced and so far we still usually use
engine specific formats. Also because glTF spec is not finished yet.
Another reason is that if there's a prob it is easy to modify the py
written three.js json export. Not equally so with Collada in blender &
collada2gltf converter, both c++ using the OpenCollada lib. But it
still seems that Collada might possibly be useful this way. If glTF
becomes successful I'm not surprised if we some day have a direct
export from Blender to that and skip the intermediate step as
Collada.. About the spec I don't really know, have understood that
they've made it more straightforward and fixed some probs of Collada
in glTF but it's largely similar too (used to be called collada-json).

@Campbell - cool to hear that FBX maps to Blender well. If it's a sane
format perhaps it is ok for it to become standard .. by Blender folks
reverse engineering and documenting it :p . Even if it's not publicly
specified by Autodesk I suppose they can't break it as then many apps
with support for it would break .. unless they'd require always using
updated versions of the SDK.

~Toni