[Bf-committers] FBX import support

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 11:16:33 CEST 2014

@toni - FBX isn't exactly secret, since it has a pain-text (ascii)
version its not so hard to support,
also its data maps much more cleanly to Blender then Collada does
(just similar conventions - armatures especially).

Supporting the binary format was harder, but proabably still less
hassle then parsing the ASCII (I tried doing both).

@Jeffrey H, Blender had FBX export for years, just not import (unless
you count the ASCII importer we had in addons_contrib).
For users making content for Unity and some other engines, this was
still useful.

Also, we had 2 developers work on armature support in FBX already (I
think they even got it working OK). so probably this isn't such a big
task, Bastien can reuse their work if it helps.

- Campbell