[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code 2014

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Apr 22 13:07:53 CEST 2014

Hi all,

Yesterday evening the GSoC students were contacted and announced.
Here are the projects we have in 2014:

* Interactive Quadrilateral Remeshing - Alexander Pinzon
Mentor: Howard Trickey
* Fluid simulation MantaFlow integration - Roman Pogribnyl
Mentor: Nils Thuerey
* Cycles Optimizations - Thomas Dinges
Mentor: Sergey Sharybin
* Viewport FX III - Jason Wikins
Mentor: Antony Riakiotakis
* BGE - Cleanup & Support - Inez Almeida
Mentor: Daniel Stokes
* NURBS Modernization - Jonathan deWerd
Mentor: Sergey Sharybin
* Relative shape keys workflow enhancements  -  Grigory Revzin
Mentor: Bastien Montagne

Welcome students, and congrats with getting a great summer :)
You'll get contacted all soon about further steps. Meanwhile, I suggest the mentors to already hook up with a student to have the first bonding going on.

For those who wonder - why "only" seven projects: we actually selected 9 very good proposals, but two students also had a proposal accepted at another organization. In both cases we connected about this, and it was clear that the other (smaller) orgs would benefit better from the student's work then we would.

None of these organizations (nor we) had backup students to fill in. Overall, the quantity and quality of proposals this year was lower, but we also selected a bit more strict than last year (15 total).

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute