[Bf-committers] Newbie Question. - Starting with Blender Development.

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 13:30:49 CEST 2014

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Kurt Weiss <fundev at kwnet.at> wrote:
> Hello community.
> Intodrucing me: I'm professional Developer (including C) but a Blender
> Newbie.
> Although programming is one of my main job, so Blender is a hobby for me.
> After playing with Blender for about a 3 Months I reached the
> limitations of the physics engine. (Animation)
>
> So I looked for a possibility to extend modifiers of Blender with python
> scripting but found that it's only possible to develop modifiers with
> compiling blender new.
>
> So here's my question:
> ======================
> *) Did I oversee a possibility to manipulate meshes per frame outside
> modifiers compiled in blender?

Its a bit of a hack but you _can_ use a frame-change callback to
manipulate any data.

See:
http://www.blender.org/documentation/blender_python_api_2_70a_release/bpy.app.handlers.html#bpy.app.handlers.frame_change_pre

> *) Is there a good cookbook/example Code for creating modifiers for
> blender? (Using Ubuntu 13.10) Tips? / compilers?

A while back I started a project to host 'patch templates',
https://github.com/ideasman42/blender_patch_templates

see: `modifier_deform` example, tested and it still applies cleanly on master.

You can apply the patch then use it as a template for your own modifier.

> *) My plan is: Playing with Blender-Development, testing if it's
> possible to write my ideas, on success publishing the source.
> All in all i just need a little bit help and maybe contacts with developers.
> If im on the wrong place here - excuse me an give me hints.
>
> thanks.

- Campbell