[Bf-committers] Collada Importer still broken for Characters with multiple meshes/bind poses.

Stefano Corazza stefano at mixamo.com
Fri Apr 18 18:52:27 CEST 2014

Dear BlenderDevs,

Here is long term Blender partner Mixamo speaking, with over 200,000
users among which Blender users is one of the largest groups.

At the moment he #1 issue with Blender for game development and
animation is non-native importing of assets. We get a lot of complaints.
In fact Collada 1.4.1 importer still has a major limitation: it does not
support multiple meshes/bind poses, which affects a large portion of
characters.

Here a test case where Blender simply crashes:
https://developer.blender.org/file/info/PHID-FILE-2kleiwpxahd6to6lac5y/#

As FBX import is not an option at the moment (no support for animation)
we would bring this up to your attention and hopefully escalate as it
has been broken for a long time and many many people are complaining
about it. Happy to provide more test cases and to test the fixes.

Thanks!!!

Stefano