[Bf-committers] Buildbot MSVC 2013

Martijn Berger martijn.berger at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 10:16:29 CEST 2014

Hi Jeffrey,

In cuda 5.5 and 6.0 there is a regression with texture memory handling that
costs us significant performance I think.
Cuda 5.0 requires msvc 2008 or 2010 to run but since we only use nvcc to
compile a kernel and do dynamic runtime loading of libucda you can just use
the 2008 install you have to keep cuda 5.0 working.

On my system I use the windows 7.0 sdk with updates and a few registry
tweaks to convince the cuda installer I have msvc 2010 installed. This
allows nvcc to use cl.exe from the sdk as a stage 1 compiler yielding a
working toolchain. (
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Juicyfruit/Cuda_windows)

For Maxwell cards we will also need to use cuda 6.0 or higher so the total
setup might be getting complicated moving forward and I think we should
evaluate with brecht if / how we can move forward to newer cuda. As far as
I know he is also in contact with nvidia about this problem.

I have a very busy week ahead of me but during eastern I might get around
to writing down + testing an exact set of steps to reproduce my environment.

Martijn