[Bf-committers] Blender 2.69 testbuild1 AHOY

W. Nelson indigitalspace at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 28 03:26:29 CEST 2013

About the chain addon break report for the test build AHOY
    and the lack of "proactive" warning or documentation
    of change in python handling code committed to trunk--

Very briefly, something has changed in python handling that has not been announced or is not apparent from a quick check of commits and a check of the projects page.  After about 15 minutes of checking, I see no "proactive notification" of any pending changes.

This is again the issue that has been discussed previously about unannounced changes that break addons without any "proactive" warning.  I agree with Sam and his proactive attempt on this mailing list at calling attention to this type of "surprise" breakage.

Of course a bug report needs to "reactively" be filed.  But the bigger issues is requiring "reactive" actions instead of implementing suggested simple "proactive" notifications.

This is the whole purpose of RCs and it has been requested that people give more "feedback" on RCs or am I in error in my understanding our RC policy and feedback requests?  This is not a rhetorical question so if I am in error please enlighten me.  Maybe I am missing or overlooking something.

As a follow-up:
  this needs to be filed as a bug or addon bug of course

  no http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.69
      notification has been posted of this already implemented thus "surprising" change

  no easy location of the change and cause in release code is found in commit logs

  no notification of pending change has been posted in bf-python as a proactive warning

  squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak ; )

Until the bug report is filed heres the console output:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\blender-2.68-r60361-win32\2.68\scrip
ts\addons\object_add_chain.py", line 152, in execute
Add_Chain()
File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\blender-2.68-r60361-win32\2.68\scrip
ts\addons\object_add_chain.py", line 71, in Add_Chain
abso_minor_rad=0.5,
File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\blender-2.68-r60361-win32\2.68\scrip
ts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 188, in __call__
ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
TypeError: Converting py args to operator properties: : keyword "use_abso" unrec
ognized

location: <unknown location>:-1

location: <unknown location>:-1

Thanks always for the hard work and help of core devs,

Respectfully and earnestly,

JTa