[Bf-committers] Blender 2.69 testbuild1 AHOY

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Sep 25 14:10:52 CEST 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM, IRIE Shinsuke <irieshinsuke at yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
>> As for bfont, it's license is also included. However, didn't see any
>> requirements in cases font being bundled into executable itself. License
>> might be enough, maybe not. Anyway, it was bundled like this since ancient
>> ages and never caused issues.
>
> In cases font is bundled into executable, the font data part of the
> executable can be considered as a derivative of the font software,
> so restrictions of the font license should be inherited.
> GPL doesn't allow any further restrictions without additional terms.

I don't know if this is really true. Is bundling something into the
same executable really the same as what the GPL calls linking, does
this actually make it a derivative work? If you bundle all data in a
single installer exe, is that also linking? The font isn't executable
code, it's data. So to me this doesn't obviously seem like a
violation.

>> Anyway, it was bundled like this since ancient
>> ages and never caused issues.
>
> There has been the issue since ancient age indeed, but no one was
> aware of that until I pointed out.
>
> Ton, did you investigate this issue?

Ton is on vacation at the moment, and he won't be able to reply this
week and the next, I don't know if he investigated this.

As I understand it, you suspect this to be an issue, but none of us
are lawyers, and we don't know if this is actually an issue. If I had
to take I guess, I'd say it isn't.

Brecht.