[Bf-committers] Surface and Volume modeling with new developed Bezier-Surface math

Roland Adorni rol at solnet.ch
Fri Sep 20 21:04:38 CEST 2013

Dear Blender-Developer-Community

I am not sure who I have to contact with this but I found this mailing
list in your contact page and so I registered and post it here.

I am not the most skilled 3D modeler and so I often wondered how 3D
volume modeling could be done better.
I figured out that I can very well shape 2D objects with the Bezier
curves and wondered how they can be enhanced to model surfaces and volume.

So I took a look at the math and did some first calculations and tests
with octave (matlab clone)  and wxMaxima (mathematica clone) and the
first results look promising to me.

Different to the known Bezier surface you can find in the wiki the
surface in my approach will not use a grid. It's defined by the corner
points and legs like we have it in the 2D case.

With it it's possible forexample to create a sphere out of 6 such
points. (same leg length value as you have it in the 2D case)
-> The 4 points as you have it in your 2D-Bezier circle and an
additional point on x (0,0,1) and one on (0.0,-1) building 8
Bezier-surface triangles.

In basics the Bezier surface I calculate is a bit a more natural
enhancement of the 2D Bezier curve reduced to the really required points
only. The math behind it is not too complicated and should be well
implementable.

Let me know who to contact if you have interest.

best regards
rad