[Bf-committers] GHOST/Win32 dead-key-fix?

Harley Acheson harley.acheson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 05:04:30 CEST 2013

Campbell,

That bug thread goes on for ages and addresses some other issues as well,
which is confusing. Here is a better (short) summary of the problem:

This bug happens only to Windows users who use a keyboard layout that uses
"dead keys" to create accented characters in European languages. The
keyboard layout in the bug was the "US (International)" keyboard layout
which
does this for tilde, quote, and double-quote characters.

These layouts, for example, let you press the "tilde" key and then the "e"
to get
an accented "e".   Press the dead key twice and you get the actual
character,
like double-quote. Press the dead key and then a character that cannot be
accented, like "L" and you will get the dead key and the "L"

In Blender, when using this type of keyboard layout, the dead keys are
simply
swallowed up.  It is not just that you don't get accented characters, but
that you
have no way of making a quote or double-quote character. This can make
programming in Python a bit difficult...

The patch almost completely fixes the issue.

It allows you to press the dead keys and get the accented character exactly
as
you expect.  However you must *always* press the dead key to get that key.
So you must press double-quote twice to get a double-quote.  I'm pretty sure
that this is as close as we get to perfect with the way we are dealing with
keyboard
input (raw key presses rather than characters).

Harley