[Bf-committers] BGE: Removing Singletexture Mode

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Sep 11 21:04:49 CEST 2013

Hi,

I'm happy to see old cruft removed, but automatic conversion is
unlikely to be totally smooth. So if we are going to put game engine
users through this compatibility breaking again, it may be good to
consider the bigger picture too?

What is the ideal material system that you would  work towards? With
fixed function being deprecated in OpenGL, where does that leave
Multitexture? Currently all 3 modes have issues:

Single texture
+ Fast
+ Visible in 3D viewport
- Too simple for good materials

Multitexture
+ Fast
+ More flexible than single texture
- Not visible in the 3D viewport when editing
- Strange interpretation of material options
- Fixed function is being deprecated in OpenGL

GLSL
+ Most flexible
+ Visible in 3D viewport
o Designed to match blender render exactly
- Performance quite poor because of that
- Shaders not dynamic (limited parameter animation and number of lights)

Anyway, maybe no one has time to undertake a big redesign here, but it
may be interesting to think about.

My other question is, what does deprecating single texture in 2.69
mean? Does that involve any code changes, or just a mention in the
release notes that it will be removed in a future version?

Brecht.