[Bf-committers] BGE: Removing Singletexture Mode

Mitchell Stokes mogurijin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 08:03:15 CEST 2013

Hello devs,

Based on feedback from a BA thread[0], I would like to start working on
removing the Singletexture material mode. By removing Singletexture, we can
focus on making Multitexture a fixed-function material mode and GLSL a
shader-only material mode. I would like to deprecate Singletexture in 2.69
and remove it in 2.70. Ideally, we should be able to get blend files using
Singletexture to convert smoothly over to Multitexture.

The biggest benefit of removing Singletexture is we get to cleanup some
code. For example, KX_PolygonMaterial can be completely removed since
KX_BlenderMaterial handles both Mutlitexture and GLSL material modes. We
can also remove some checks for if we're using KX_BlenderMaterial, since
KX_BlenderMaterial will be the only remaining concrete implementation of
RAS_IPolygonMaterial. Furthermore, we'd no longer need this
IndexPrimatives/IndexPrimativesMulti mess in the rasterizer code.

The feedback from BA was mostly users, so I'd like to get some devs'
opinions on this as well. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mitchell Stokes

[0]
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?306748-Dev-Anyone-still-using-Singletexture-materials