[Bf-committers] Can blender do partial frame rendering?

James Yonan james at openvpn.net
Fri Oct 18 05:31:28 CEST 2013

Very interesting feature...

Some questions:

1. It's important that a frame can be rendered as tiles using the
min/max x/y values and then recombined seamlessly into a single frame
with no tiling artifacts.  Since the min/max x/y values are specified as
floating point values, is there any chance that rounding errors might
introduce artifacts in the recombined frame?

2. Any way to specify the min/max x/y values in pixels rather than
floating point values to avoid the possibility of tiling artifacts?

3. When frames are rendered this way to PNG, the full frame is
dimensioned, and all pixels are RGB 0,0,0 except for the tile rectangle.
  So I'm wondering what is the best way to recombine the tiles into a
single PNG.  Is there a way to have blender mark the pixels inside the
tile (perhaps using alpha value) so that the tool that recombines the
tile PNGs can tell which tiles define which pixels?

Thanks,
James