[Bf-committers] A key map tweak for (possibly) letting LMB and RMB cooperate better

Gaia gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Thu Oct 17 19:44:57 CEST 2013

Hi;

Today i played a bit with Key bindings and after
a bit of trial and errorand some help from the IRC
i created this key map:

     http://www.pasteall.org/46605

This key map uses mostly the default key-binding
of blender's factory settings. I made only 2
changes:

1.) Tweak with LMB moves the selected items when i
     LMB and drag. (this is equal to 'g' and drag)

2.) Double click LMB will set the 3D-Cursor location
     (instead of single LMB)

I made these changes because of following thoughts:

* I found the idea to use RMB as selector and LMB as actor
   a nice separation of concerns.
   So it felt very natural and straight forward to me to use
   Tweak (LMB plus slight dragging) to grab the current selection.

* Ichanged the setting from LMB to LMB + LMB (double click LMB).
   This makes it less probable that i unintentionally move the
   3D cursor to some arbitrary place. Remind that 3D Cursor
   positioning can not be reverted with CTRL +Z.

Note that as a side effect this change fits very well into the
LMB/RMB discussion as it strictly keeps select with RMB but
still allowsto move the selected elements with LMB which is
in my opinion100 percent according to the Blender philosophy.

And it introduces"move with LMB" in a natural way (even
without the need to have the3D-Manipulator enabled)

Please let me know what you think about this "key binding tweak"

cheers,
Gaia